Friday, June 16, 2006

Top 10 U2 Songs, according to my very professional opinion

While we are on the topic of U2, and yes, Josh, U2 does indeed rock, I figured I would post my 11 personal favorite songs (who said it had to be divisible by 5?), in no particular order. I don't know if this list will be interesting to anyone other than myself, but what can I say, I may be a little self-indulgent at times on this blog.

Song - Album

1. Where the Streets Have no Name - The Joshua Tree - The perfect song to get your adrenaline pumping. I don't think U2 has ever skipped this song in any full-length concert.

2. Running to Stand Still - The Joshua Tree - This song features some of what U2 does best. Instead of relying on a catchy tune, they start with a low key song that just builds and builds in momentum. Nice piano and harmonica.

3. Until the End of the World - Achtung Baby - Very interesting song. It is sung from Judas Iscariot's point of view, in terms of his relationship with Jesus. "Waves of regret, waves of joy, I reached out for the one I tried to destroy."

4. In a Little While - ATYCLB (All That You Can't Leave Behind) - Nice bluesy song. Doesn't sound like any other U2 song. Sounds more like an American classic 60s song, maybe something Van Morrison would have done.

5. Kite - ATYCLB - Nothing to say but great song. U2 did great with this song during the Elevation Tour.

6. Original of the Species - HTDAAB - (How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb) - Nothing much to say, just great instruments. A little awkward with the "do do do", but a great song nonetheless.

7. Promenade - The Unforgettable Fire - This song has a strange catchiness to it.

8. Your Blue Room - Passengers: Original Soundtrack 1 - U2 at their most non-U2. This could have gone on their Zooropa album. I'm not even sure U2 wrote it, since this was Brian Eno's project. Adam even gets involved with the vocals.

9. Angel of Harlem - Rattle and Hum - Great upbeat song. Love the brass, and Bono's voice is powerful.

10. Yahweh - HTDAAB - Great song about the one of the same name.

And finally...
11. All I Want is You - Rattle and Hum - Great love song. This made the list since it was played at my wedding.

6 comments:

astrocoz said...

I love U2 too! Anyhow, I just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog and taking time out to add to the discussion on my post. It really made me think and debate, which are all great things. Its rare that I get a comment on a post like that and will foster any kind of discussion.

Chance said...

No problem. I enjoyed your post, and thanks for the kind words! Josh from gabbathauniversity.blogspot.com commented on one of my posts concerning freedom in general, and he is the one that directed me to your post.

Josh said...

There's a cd you can get called In the Name of Love at Mardel, Family Christian or Lifeway.

It's a tribute to U2 and has different artists doing their own version of U2 songs. One band, Pillar, who I'm not a fan of did their own particular rendition of Bloody Sunday, and it rocked!

Josh said...

Oh... and the hidden song at the end of Their Greatest Hits CD 1 after All I Want Is You.

Chance said...

There's a cd you can get called In the Name of Love at Mardel, Family Christian or Lifeway.

Actually, I have that CD! It is pretty good. And yes, Sunday Bloody Sunday by Pillar is an awesome song! There's quite few good songs on that CD.

Chance said...

And the hidden song...I found that is called "October", which is on their second album of the same name. That is a great song.