Friday, November 17, 2006

The cycles of political passion

My passion for certain issues, mostly political but sometimes theological, goes in cycles. Sometimes I feel inspired and want to post on topics such as abortion, affirmative action, economics, or more spiritual like biblical doctrine, i.e. Once Saved Always Saved, Predestination, etc... I haven't talked so much about the spiritual stuff because that was more of a passion before I started to blog. My blogging time happened to hit while I was interested in political issues.

Basically, I get in a mode where I feel strongly about the way I do; not that my convictions are weaker, but that my passion for defending them is. During this period, I may tend to blog more and comment on other people's blogs, especially remarking on opinions with which I disagree. This is not a bad thing, but it can get to the point where I actually get annoyed that people disagree with me. I mean, after all, aren't my opinions obviously correct? Why can't they see things the right way?

At this point, passion can turn into obsession. I find that I spend more time than I want debating with people. Someone says something I disagree with and I usually have to throw my own 2 cents in.

I have not been feeling like that so much lately. Sure, as Michael or Dan can probably attest, I still make comments on other blogs, but it seems to happen less frequently. And anyone can notice I blog here less often, and many times not on political topics.

The thing is, I kinda like this version of Chance. My convictions are the same, but I'm not spending all my time thinking about such topics. I think it is good to be passionate about things, but at the same time, during this phase I feel...for lack of a better word, content. Not content with the way things are in the world by any means...but many less sensitive to them. I am not sure. I still want to care about such things, and I know only those who truly care can make a difference in the world. But I'm happy to get less riled up when I see opinions with which I totally disagree. Sometimes I avoid commenting on certain blog posts altogether and not even reading the comment section. I like being less obsessed with political issues.

I suppose I have to examine my motivation for why I am passionate about certain issues in the first place. Is it simply because I want more control? Is it just a desire to shape the world as I see fit?

When I think of what I want to do at this moment, I think of taking care of my family. I think of working out certain things in my own life, things I can do as an individual. My focus at the moment seems to be less global. As I said in a previous post, we have certain convictions, and we have to make sure we live them in our own life, whatever our politics. Not that people who are involved in politics neglect their personal life in any way. I am just saying that, for some reason or another, I am less interested in discussing and thinking about worldwide topics. Not that I won't post on such topics, and I have a few ideas for such, I am just explaining what is going on with me at the moment. This does not mean I will stop commenting on other people's blogs, but I may be less likely to enter a heated debate or write some really long comment outlining my beliefs in the free market. I'll still post here on this blog, but I'll do so without the burning need to tell the world why I think what I think. Anyway, that is what is going on with me. I think it is all about balance, being interested in issues, but not being obsessed. If I lean on the opposite end of obsession, that is alright by me.

7 comments:

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

Balance is important. Finding and keeping balance is difficult.
I hope you find it and are content.

Josh said...

Chance, you're totally wrong. Blogging should be your passion. Haha... just kidding.

Just don't forget about me over at Gabbatha.

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

Speaking of political PASSION, have you seen this?http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/1120-02.htm I blogged this because it was just too weird for words. :-)

Chance said...

Wow, Michael...I can't argue with their methods...provided everyone involved is married of course :)

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

I'm not sure the couple whose idea this is, who seem to belong to one of the "neo-pagan" groups, particularly cares about whether every participant is legally married, or whether all the orgasmic activity is heterosexual, etc. They even invite "solos." Christian participation would want to keep things within marriage.

I am skeptical of this "good vibes" idea, but, as I said, "it couldn't hurt."

I supppose this takes the old '60s slogan of "make love, not war" to a new, um, high note.

Josh said...

Sheehan... Hmmm... That name rings a bell.

Better that sitting on W's doorstep I guess.

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

This Sheehan is no relation to Cindy Sheehan, Velvet.