Friday, October 20, 2006

Some basic philosophies in a nutshell...

I've spoken plenty on political topics throughout this blog. I have actually not been that involved recently in politics - not that I am actively involved, but I mean involved as in reading on political topics or actively thinking through various problems of a political nature. I wouldn't say I have lost a passion for political issues, but they haven't been the main thoughts of the day. I think to some degree, this has allowed me to step back and look at things in a gut level sort of way. I feel the desire to express some of my basic philosophies, not so much in political or philosophical terms, but more in a down-to-the-roots manner.

1. In general, people should have to pay for stuff. I don't think things should be free. I'm not entitled to anything, whether it is the song I download, the software I use, the books I read, the food I eat, etc... Most everything I have is something somebody else provided. I'm not saying to abolish welfare, but welfare should be temporary for those who can feed themselves.

2. Government is not the answer to people's problems. I believe the government should have as minimal a role in our lives as possible. Government is not some agent of God to make our lives better in any way. The more room government has, the less room for family and church. The transformation of a society can only be done through voluntary actions. We have learned this lesson with religion, you cannot force people to have a certain faith. In the same way, actions done through force cannot accomplish great change in our society.

3. Freedom is accomplished through negative rights, not positive. Positive rights will always come into conflict. The right to certain goods or services will conflict with the rights of the person providing it. The right to a microphone will conflict with the rights of the person providing that microphone. Freedom of speech means the government cannot interfere with my right to speak, it does not guarantee that someone provides the resources for me to be heard; doing so conflicts with the right of someone else not to support speech they do not like. Radio stations refusing to play the Dixie Chicks is not censorship. I touched on this before, but drug stores not carrying birth control is not an infringement on my freedom. Me demanding that they provide birth control is an infringement on theirs. A society truly respectful of others' rights will not have people insist that others accomodate their lifestyle.


That's about it for now. I'm sure there's more.

5 comments:

Josh said...

Great points.

My brother brought up a good point concerning your #3. The amendment to ban gay marriage was the first amendment in our country's history that took away rights to particular Americans.

Not that I'm for or against gay marriage, but I think that amendments to the constitution which take away rights is moving in the wrong direction.

Chance said...

I agree. I couldn't have said it better myself. The amendments should be focused on giving rights to people, and whether or not one thinks gay marriage is a "right", in general, I don't think the amendments should "limit" citizens in such ways.

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

Well, I have basic disagreements with parts of each of your points, but they are articulated well. Thanks for writing so clearly well, Chance.

Josh said...

Thanks, Chance. You can never go wrong agreeing with The Prophet.

Dan Trabue said...

"In general, people should have to pay for stuff. I don't think things should be free."

And so, what would you do with this statement:

Our transportation/car/gas prices are artificially cheap because we're pushing some of that costs off on others, thereby "demanding" they pay for our cheap oil and transportation.