Monday, April 09, 2007

An Easter post, one day late.

When we think of Easter, we typically think of how Jesus's sacrifice on the cross saved us from hell. This is no doubt something very significant, but this is something that I am primarily thankful for in a mental, logical sense. In a sense, I'm thankful for this more than anything else; I mean, what can be better than being saved from hell? However, in another sense, this is the sacrifice that is the least real for me. Partly because my mind cannot be wrapped around the extent of this sacrifice, and I don't think it is supposed to be. Also, however, I have never actually been to hell, I don't know what it's like. My mind tells me about this salvation, but it is hard to grasp on an emotional level.

That's why it is important to realize that Christ not only saved us from eternal damnation, but also from ourselves and our sinful nature. It's not just about eternal life, but abundant life. John 10:10 says "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." A life of sin is pretty miserable. When I think of my life in the past, Ephesians 1 comes to mind:
1As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature[a] and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. 4But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.
I know that in my own life, even though I have been a Christian for some time, I am just beginning to realize the extent of Christ's sacrifice. When I think about salvation from hell, I'm thankful on an intellectual sense. But when I think of what Jesus has actually done in my life and the stuff He has saved me from, I am thankful on a completely different level. That is what I am thankful for this Easter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, Chance. I hope you had a happy Easter!

Chance said...

Thanks, you too. It was a great Easter.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, THE VAULT seems to be coming along well. I've made som MAJOR improvements. Check it out if you have the time.

Chance said...

Yeah, it looks good. I stopped by today.

Chance said...

I think the discussion part is a great addition.