Thursday, December 20, 2007

On "Happy Holidays" and "Merry Christmas"

This topic has probably already been beaten to death, but I wanted to add my two cents. First of all, do I think stores should be afraid to say "Merry Christmas"? No, not really. I don't think most people care. I could be wrong, but I think it is people who actually celebrate Christmas who are afraid of offending people who have caused the change, rather than anybody being offended.

However, these places are private businesses. They have the right to say whatever they want.


I wanted to bring this up because we often talk about how Christmas is being silenced, or how there is a "War on Christmas". But in cases like this, we aren't being silenced. We have our freedom of speech and businesses have theirs.

I think as Christians we should be slow to bring out the persecution card. We have it so much better than those in other countries who participate in underground Bible studies and where missionaries have to be undercover.

Things are different in a public institution, where actual oppression can take place. These institutions, such as public schools, I believe can focus too much on the establishment clause of the First Amendment and not the free exercise clause.

But even in these cases I think we should be slow to bring out the martyr card. I just don't think a "woe is me" attitude is flattering for Christians, as with any other group that may see themselves as victims. I think Christians should fight for religious freedom and stand up when they see somebody's religious expression being silenced, but I think we just sometimes need to do it with a different attitude. We should focus on the freedom aspect and not the persecution aspect - but I admit I don't know where the line is.

1 comment:

Neil said...

Good points, Chance. We should follow Voice of the Martyrs and other persecution ministries if we want to see real injustice.

Those stores irritate me, for sure, but I'd rather just shop somewhere else than cry about it.

When in doubt, just say Merry Christ-mass and Happy Holy Days to people.