Thursday, August 21, 2008

To the guy who thinks everyone should ride their bike to work, regardless of their situation

Just a quick note: I think if you can ride your bike to work, that's great. You get exercise, you reduce pollution, it cost less money, there are numerous benefits. Dan, I believe, rides his bike to work, and I think that's great. Especially if you happen to like the environment ( I get along with the environment okay, we are occasionally on speaking terms, every once in a while, I say hello).

So I'm at work and this lady is complaining about the radio stations she has to endure while she drives to work (i.e. crappy morning shows). A guy who rides his bike to work states "if you ride your bike to work you wouldn't have that problem." Did I mention the lady lives 35 miles away from work? Look, if you are dumbfounded why someone who lives 35 miles away from work doesn't ride their bike, you have a problem. We think it's great you ride your bike, we just think it's annoying when it gives you a superiority complex. I'm trying to decide if this guy just wants to insert the fact that he rides his bike to work into everyday conversation, or if he actually thinks this lady's life would be improved if she rode her bike to work. Let's see, 40 minute commute to work vs. 2 hours ( assuming average speed 20mph). You are asking her to sacrifice an extra 2.5 hours a day, for what? Not to mention, this is on an interstate highway. I'm not saying we have to take the fastest way to work, but if you triple your commute time, I'm going to give you a pass. Again, if you want to ride your bike to work, more power to you. Just don't try to randomly insert it into conversation. Also, if you happen to be one of the green types, I know protecting the environment, conservation, and the like are all about sacrifice. But you have to understand that sometimes people don't want to sacrifice 2.5 hours a day with their family.

6 comments:

Dan Trabue said...

Look, if you are dumbfounded why someone who lives 35 miles away from work doesn't ride their bike, you have a problem.

I'm dumbfounded that someone would choose to have a job 35 miles from their home. Especially in these days where that's some $12/day (or ~$400/year) worth of gasoline (not counting parking fees, maintenance, etc).

Still, you are free to choose your transportation and where you live, no one is suggesting otherwise. And you are absolutely right, Chance, that we who choose not to order our lives thusly can be insufferable.

So, on behalf of we, the boors and off-putting, my apologies.

I'm just saying, it's all about choices and how we choose to live. Especially for those of us living beyond minimum wage.

Dan Trabue said...

Thanks for the link, by the way.

And, by the way, I've actually taken to walking to work and church most days, instead of biking.

Chance said...

Hi Dan,
It is a couple who work in 2 different cities. Not desirable by any means, however. I

In my view, as resources dwindle, the cost of living a certain way will be more than the other. That is, as oil gets scarce, gas will be even more, and less people will make those decisions. Conservation when it hurts our wallet may not be the noblest, but I do think it works in many cases. But that is another topic.


Btw, I don't think I've found you annoying or off-putting concerning walking/riding bike, etc...

Dan Trabue said...

I'll have to work harder on that, then...

Anonymous said...

The new self-righteous. I like that tag! I think you'll find plenty. Mine are the vegans.

So, how are things?

Anonymous said...

The new self-righteous. I like that tag! I think you'll find plenty. Mine are the vegans.

So, how are things?