Thursday, May 03, 2007

Changes about to come

As some of you know, I am going to be a father to a baby girl soon. It could happen anytime, and once it does, I probably will not be posting for a while. I will try to fit in a few posts before then when I can.

I also want to congratulate Josh on graduating from college. Way to go Josh!

With the responsibility of raising a child comes the realization that I am nowhere near the person I need to be. In some ways, I feel like I myself am still a child. Self-absorbed, focusing on what I need and want, easily frustrated at small inconveniences, to name a few. And I suppose that's the way it is for everyone to some degree. No one is perfect; nevertheless, we are given the duty to raise someone the best way we know how.

I think there is also some implied expectation that we, as adults, have all the answers, or that we will at some point. We will have it all figured out, and all our kids need to do is ask. But I guess that is part of growing up; at some point, we thought we knew everything; now we realize how little we know. Okay, this sounds too much like a high school graduation speech.

Anyway, I am really excited and honored by the awesome responsibility God has given my wife and I. I guess, at the risk of turning this into a cheesy spiritual/inspirational message, is to realize I don't have all the answers, and that is why I have to, at some degree, take myself out of the process. I am not perfect, but I think I will be successful as a parent if I point them to someone who is.

9 comments:

Dan Trabue said...

"I guess, at the risk of turning this into a cheesy spiritual/inspirational message, is to realize I don't have all the answers..."

That's all right. The babe will THINK you have all the answers and that's cool, too.

And then, they turn into teens and they'll remind you again that you don't know nothing...

Pending congratulations, fella.

Neil said...

Congratulations in advance, Chance. I prayed that things would go well for you all. Parenthood is fantastic. Some downs, mostly ups. I wouldn't trade it for anything. God is good.

Looking forward to seeing pictures on your blog!

Anonymous said...

Chance, you're a good friend. I think perhaps every parent has those worries before their first child.

Those things just seem to have a way of working themselves out.

Take care, and I'm glad to share in this enjoyable moment with you.

Anonymous said...

BTW... You just got a video shout out at my blog!

Anonymous said...

"As some of you know, I am going to be a father to a baby girl soon."

It is so much fun, but a huge responsibility. And also, I warn you, it will be very hard to tell her no when she asks for something.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I've got to go with John there. Mine's getting into the terrible 2's stage, but everytime she screams, "Daddy, Daddy, DADDY!" it warms my heart!

Anonymous said...

As a father of ONLY daughters, I can say that it has reinforced my commitment to gender equality. Knowing that my daughters have to struggle with sexism from a very early age forces me to do more about it--and to encourage them to overcome and become whatever they want to.

There is so much out there: violence against women and girls; sexualizing girls at an ever younger age through fashion, through peer pressures to be sexually active (at ever younger ages!!!), misogynistic songs, the casual use of anti-female terms in ordinary pop-culture speech ("bitch," "ho," etc.) warped theologies that encourage female submission to males as "proper and God ordained," average pay STILL only 75 cents on the dollar per (usually less qualified) male counterparts, etc., etc.

Somehow, you have to prepare her for all that crap without letting her accept it. You have to encourage and support her and let her know she is worthwhile, while preparing her for the reality that many will not share that view--that many, even in the churches, will view her worth primarily in childbearing or "traditional" roles, etc. She will bless you--and give you increased responsibility.

Anonymous said...

Chance, Sorry our conversation dropped this weekend. I always thought you were man enough to sire a boy. Congrats and get some rest.

Lee said...

Wow man, real cool. Best of wishes towards you, and your future Daddy's Lil' Princess.

And I understand the whole, not sure that I'm ready to be a parent thing. I can't imagine being responsible right now, I too have things to shush out.

I think we all, those with decent shoulders on our heads, have that same basic fear. No one is truly ready...

... but yet, we all that capability. You'll be a great dad.