Tuesday, May 29, 2007

At a crossroads...

I'm at a bit of a crossroads with my blog. I'm not sure how much more political posting I want to do. I feel that I've said just about everything I can say in the year and a half I've done my blogging. In a way, blogging about politics all the time is like talking about politics all the time with a close friend or wife with whom you disagree. If you do so, conversations tend to get heated, and you start to be annoyed with that person and not have pleasant conversations about things you have in common. I enjoy discussing movies and music and not arguing about politics all the time. This is not intended to offend those who do focus on politics, it's just an issue of my personality.

In a way though, this makes the blogging more challenging. By nature, I am a very analytical thinker. Instead of writing stories, I right about issues. Politics involves reasoning, and I'm better at logic than creativity. If I had chosen a path of ministry or such, I would probably specialize in the fine points of theology or apologetics.

So, I will probably post on politics from time to time, but I'm going to try to focus more on theological/philosophical issues somewhat removed from the realm of politics. Also, I will try to comment more on media, such as movies and music. The frustrating thing is, I state what I'm going to do, but may find myself doing the opposite. In the past I have announced a break from politics, but then an issue piques my interest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blog what you want, Chance. I conceived my blog as "religious social criticism," but it has broadened to include more theology.
Dan blogs about music, children, biking, simplicity, etc., in addition to more directly political work.

Blogging is writing and no one should write about anything except what interests them--especially for no pay. :-)

Chance said...

Oh, didn't you know, I'm on the Exxon payroll. I actually hate capitalism.