Sunday, April 23, 2006

My favorite albums

Okay, I'm bored, so I'm going to list 5 of my favorite albums, not necessarily in any type of order. I am far from a music journalist, please forgive my lack of descriptive words aside from great, neato, and cool.

1. U2 - The Joshua Tree - Classic U2, not a bad song on the album. Most of the best of 80's U2 is in this album. I loved this album the first time I heard it. Despite having all the 4 most popular radio-played songs at the beginning, the 7 songs that follow are just about as good.

2. U2 - Achtung Baby - Joshua Tree may be the most "perfect" album U2 has done, but this may be the best. Where Joshua Tree is more easy listening, Achtung Baby is more abrasive - not quite as polished as JT, but more adventurous. It makes the album more amazing hearing the energy of "Zoo Station" and "Even Better than the Real Thing" when you know the turmoil the band faced while making it.

3. U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - Just an album full of great songs. If "Love and Peace or Else" was produced a little bit better, this album may be perfect.

4. The Innocence Mission - Glow - Every song is great on this album; I recommend checking this band out. I wish I had the musical vocabulary to do this album and this group justice. The lead singer's voice, a female, is extraordinary, and the guitar styling, somewhat reminding me of the Edge, is fantastic.

5. Belle and Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress - Not a complete album, about 9,10 out of 12 songs are great, but they are good enough to move it into my top 10. I don't really know how to describe this band; the closest thing I can think of is 70s pop. This band has 6 or 7 people, and the songs are driven by acoustic guitar, brass, and woodwind instruments.

6. Goo Goo Dolls - A Boy Named Goo - Fun energetic rock

7. Bleach - Again for the First Time - A Christian punkish rock band. My favorite Christian band, bar none.

8. Foo Fighters - There is Nothing Left to Lose - Great rock songs focused on search for meaning, contains the popular hit "Learn to Fly"

9. U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind. Another great U2 album, slightly uneven, but U2 have managed to come up with a hit ranking along with their earlier works in "Beautiful Day." Even the songs that did not make it to mainstream radio are some of the best songs I have ever heard from any band, such as "Kite" and "In a Little While."

10. Fiona Apple - When the Pawn... - Rock and Roll music in Jazz format. Great instrumentation.

2 comments:

Josh said...

6 cds in my cd player:
Howie Day
The Fray
Keene
Gavin DeGraw
Five for Fighting
James Blunt

Chance said...

I still have some free CDs to get from BMG. I would like to get Howie Day. I just bought David Gray - White Ladder. He's a pretty talented artist.

I got an IPOD shuffle, so I'm able to listen to about 120-140 songs at a time. That's whats nice about computers and multiple CD changes, you can listen to so much stuff without changing anything.