Thursday, June 29, 2006

My personal CD wish list

Here is my personal CD wish list. Not that I really need more CDs, I have plenty, and its typically not a good mental exercise to be thinking about things that I want to have all day. But I thought it would be just a fun post in the midst of my more serious ones. As I mentioned a few posts ago, musical elitism bothers me. I'll throw names around of less well known bands, but its not because I'm some musical expert or anything, I just happen to listen to a lot of online radio. In fact, I'll discuss some of the lesser known bands, instead of assuming you should have heard of them, like your popular music magazine does.


Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit - This is the newest album by B & S. B & S is a band from Scotland who sounds like, well, probably not anyone. The closest thing I can think of is 70s pop. They rely on a lot of woodwind and acoustic instruments. They are a break from the 4-piece band. I have 2 of their other albums Dear Catastrophe Waitress and If You're Feeling Sinister. I recommend both, with a preference toward the former.

Coldplay - X&Y - What can I say? I love their song "Talk". The best song I have heard on the radio all year.

The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles were a band out of Liverpool, England who were around during the 1960s. I'd recommend listening to their stuff sometime.

The Beatles - The White Album - To paraphrase Hank Hill, this is when they "went nuts in India." While I would never rely on any Beatle as a spiritual guide, this album blows me away. It's hard justifying 30 bucks on an album (it's a double).

The Innocence Mission - Befriended - I talked about this band in a previous post. If you have a tendency toward folk music whatsoever, I would recommend checking out this band.

From Bubblegum to Sky - Nothing Sadder than a Lonely Queen - This is the strangest band I have ever, ever heard. I though the lead singer was a girl for the longest time, but it turns out to be some dude. They have some free mp3s floating around somewhere. I don't even know how to explain them.

U2 & Brian Eno - Passengers: Original Soundtrack - I may have gotten the official name wrong. This was a U2 & Brian Eno collaboration that is not really a U2 album.

So there you go. Josh, I think you may have my mailing address.

1 comment:

Josh said...

Lol!!! I've only got the X&Y Cd from your list, although some of the others I need to get.

I just picked up The Afters & Daniel Powter. They're both pretty good.