Friday, September 22, 2006

At least we have more than 5 Bibles

A recent report says.
(New York-AP) September 21, 2006 - Televisions have taken over the average American home. Nielsen Media Research says the average home in the US now has more television sets than people to sit down and watch them.

The researchers say there are now 2.73 TV sets in the typical home, compared to just 2.55 people.

Nielsen says half of American homes now have three or more TVs, while only 19 percent have just one. In 1975, 57 percent of homes had only a single set.

Nielsen also says more people are watching more television, as sets are turned on for more than eight hours a day in the average home.

The average person watches four hours and 35 minutes of television each day.


I must say, somewhat red-faced, that I have 5 TV's in my home, for just my wife and I. Well, and a little one on the way (found out last week!). However, not that I feel I have to justify anything to anyone, I feel I have a good explanation. My wife and I each brought a TV into the marriage, with the bigger one being 19 inches. However, in a short amount of time, 3 TV's were given to us. My in-laws had a small TV they weren't using that they offered to give us. We decided to take it just to have another TV for when we move into a house, maybe something for the guest room. Well, the house we bought had a TV that the prior residents left in the living room; it is about 31 inches. Then, I have a friend who works for Ultimate Electronics who delivers television sets. Sometimes the person simply gives the old TV to him (usually it requires repairs of some sort). Well, someone gave him a 48 inch HDTV, which meant he had to do something with the 50-inch older TV he got from a customer previously. Well, I ended up with the 50-inch.

And that is the story of how our family obtained 5 TV's, only paying for 2 of them.

5 comments:

Josh said...

We have 5, but one's in a closet somewhere not being used.

The coolest TV I've ever seen was put in someone's bathroom closet behind a 2-way mirror. Then the TV was on, the TV screen showed on the mirror. That was the coolest tv setup I've ever seen.

Dan Trabue said...

Congratulations on the baby!

We've one TV in our house, against my will. No cable.

I'm the weak one. I'll tend to watch it if it's there.

Then there's the computer...

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

We have 2 TVs because we get our phone, computer, and cable through 1 company and it came with 2 hookups. If it were up to me we'd have no TV. I spent most of my childhood without a TV because my father worried about reading rates and TV's dumbing-down factor much earlier than most. Instead we read widely.

Congrats on the baby. Life will never be the same. TV is especially harmful to developing brains before pre-school.

Chance said...

Thanks for the congrats.

TV make me stupid? That's unpossible!

I don't have cable either. Not because I don't want it really, but it's not worth at least $30/month.

I do worry about the effect of TV on a kid growing up. I watched way too much TV growing up as a kid. Instead of reading or doing anything active, I would spend my summer breaks watching TV. I think college may have saved me somewhat, because I never had time to watch TV. I will not put TV's in my kid's rooms.

preacherman said...

We have 2 TV's. One in the living room, one of them was in the boys room Yes, our 5 & 3 year old had Directv in their room. They got it taken away because they were fighting over what channel to watch. So, it is our room now. They might get it back later. Can you believe, satalite in your room growing up as a kid. Crazy. My boys have video games, tv, vcr, dvd, and satalite in there room. My son wants for Christmas a new game boy. Kids!!!!!!!!