Thursday, December 07, 2006

Looking for discussion and understanding, or maybe just looking for a fight

The House failed to pass a bill requiring abortion procedures to use anesthesia on the fetus. From the Washington Post:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives, in its last days under Republican control, failed on Wednesday to pass a bill that would have required doctors to offer painkillers for fetuses before they abort them.

The bill failed by a vote of 250 to 162, short of the two-thirds majority required under rules that limit debate.

It would have required abortion providers to give pregnant women a brochure stating that fetuses can feel pain when they are five months old.

It also would have required abortion providers to offer pregnant women anesthesia for their unborn children during an abortion.
As a pro-life person, it is understandable that I would want this bill to pass. But I would think, as a pro-choice person, I wouldn't mind a bill that provided anesthesia to the baby before being aborted. Although I disagree, I imagine Democrats wouldn't like the "It would have required abortion providers to give pregnant women a brochure stating that fetuses can feel pain when they are five months old." Perhaps that was the clincher, but I have a feeling, it is not. So, liberal guests, what would be the reason for rejecting a measure to provide anesthesia? Was it because the brochure was seen as an intimidation tactic, or should such a bill be rejected anyway?

Hat Tip: Neil Simpson

5 comments:

Jeffrey Pinyan said...

I'm a Democrat, but I consider myself a moderate Democrat, a "moderiberal" if you will. I am pro-life. That said, I will answer the question from what I suspect to be one of the pro-choice viewpoints.

a bill that would have required doctors to offer painkillers for fetuses before they abort them

I believe the very idea that the fetus being aborted could benefit from painkillers is what a pro-choice person would refuse to accept. The fact that a fetus can feel pain is a stumbling block to abortions: if you refuse the anethesia, you're hurting your unborn baby, and if you accept it, you're treating it like a terminally ill pet (or a death row inmate).

Josh said...

I'm pro-choice, and I can't believe this bill didn't pass. I definitely would've voted for it.

nessie said...

I'm pro-necessary. Pain Killers only means it makes it an easy choice. And though choice should be there, at a certain point we cant make it easy on ourselves to releave the guilt. I'm hung on this...

Anonymous said...

They don't want to admit that the unborn feel pain, doing that makes you have to admit this is a REAL LIVE HUMAN BEING. They don't want to remind these women of this fact. I am now pro choice after changing my entire life and lifestyle. At one point in my life I had an abortion. I am ashamed and very distraut over this horrible time in my life. I can say that if I was given a brochure of this type before the procedure I probably would never have gone through with it. Maybe that's what they are afraid of.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

Chance said...

Thanks for stopping by squirrel, and thanks for sharing your past experience.