Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Health care and health coverage

Without getting too much into details, I wanted to touch on the subject of health care and health coverage, primarily the fact that the two are different. Many conservatives/libertarians, Cannon, for one, argue that the goal is not to provide increasing coverage to people, but health care in increasing coverage and quantity. Coverage alone does not guarantee access to health care, only a waiting line in many cases.

Conservatives/libertarians argue that getting the government out of health care will make health care cheaper and of higher quality, resulting in fewer people uncovered. Still, the question remains, what about those people, however small or large the group may be, that are not covered? Some libertarians will argue that charity or the doctors themselves will eat up the cost of caring for them, whereas conservatives and more practical libertarians agree that those who truly cannot afford health care would indeed be cared for under government programs. Liberals will argue that it is cheaper to insure those people in the first place, as opposed to paying catastrophic expenses, and it is a valid point. However, many claim that government getting involved in coverage is inherently more intrusive and expansive as opposed to taking care of costs for the poor when they arise.

Anyway, my main point is that coverage and care are two different things. Access to coverage does not equal access to care. The goal should be to increase availability and quality of care, which I believe can be done through less government involvement. And I think we can do so without leaving the poorest in the gutter.

2 comments:

preacherman said...

Chance,
Great post and topic.
I am one of the many American's who does not have health care. I can't afford it. It is too expensive. and most of the health problems that I have the insurance companies fail to cover because they call them "pre-conditions". I work for a very small congregation that is too small to afford health care. My boys though are on medicade. I am thankful for that. I believe that our children must be taken care of in this country. I see it as taking care of "future tax payers." I pay cash for perscriptions. You know that I got seriously sick last november and had to stay in ICU. I am trying to get drug benifits (PPAA and other programs that might help). I have one drug that I take monthly that cost me out of pocket $366. I need it. I get generic drugs and they aren't as cheap as you think they might be. One is very cheap $4. I think God that he has provided for me so far. But how long will the money last and how long will the free samples and meds last? I pray that one day our country will have a affordable health care for its people. I pray that one day we will have polotitians that care more about the people than drug companies and special intrest groups.

Chance great post.
Keep it up.
God bless brother.

Anonymous said...

Speaking as one of the uninsured, I realize something has to be done about health care. I worry though that the answer the masses will gravitate to is more government involvement- an answer that usually means we will get equally mediocre care (when we are able to get care). People with minor and common problems (flu, cold, pregnancy, etc.) will be happy with the system, but it will be those that really need the system (cancer patients, transplant recipients, etc.) that will suffer through mediocre care, waiting lists, and other problems.

There was a time when health care was affordable in the U.S. The government didn't need to finance it because a household could pay their doctor directly for care (the Amish actually do this even in our present system- bargaining for health care with cash payments). The system slid down hill as businesses got involved with health benefits and government started paying the bill. Hospitals and doctors realized that they could charge much more for the same services since there were more people paying for treatment (we went from one patient paying her own bill, to a faceless corporation or government with thousands or millions of subscribers or taxpayers footing the bill for the same single patient).

I don't know if we can somehow go back, but medical saving accounts seem like a good start.